LOSER’S LIMP ATTITUDE PART 2
As I stated in Part 1…Losers Limp and Winners Leap.
Here is a OUTSTANDING LEAPER…and a True Success Warrior!
BILL PORTER – THE SUCCESS WARRIOR
Meet The UNSTOPPABLE Bill Porter!
To those unfamiliar with Bill Porter, he is a door-to-door salesman who daily peddles his goods to residents of the West Hills area of Portland, Oregon.
To many others, Bill Porter is Portland’s “Watkins Man”, and a familiar face in the neighborhood.
But more importantly he is The “Unstoppable” Bill Porter whose lifetime accomplishments give meaning to the words “NO OBSTACLES”! The life of Bill Porter is one of inspiration and motivation.
Betrayed by a crippled body that leaves him in continual pain, betrayed by a changing world that no longer needs him, Bill Porter trudges his door-to-door sales territory for Watkins Incorporated with complete determination and perseverance.
Born with Cerebral Palsy, for many years of his life Bill was told by many that he was unemployable. But with the continual support of a dedicated mother and an indomitable spirit which is his trademark, Bill Porter has supported himself for decades selling WATKINS Quality Products and leads an independent lifestyle.
His story, which has touched the lives and hearts of hundreds of people, has been featured in many medias including:
1. “Life of a Salesman” ~ Northwest Living Section, The Oregonian, Nov. 19, 1995
2. This Morning ~ CBS, May 1996
3. “Bill Porter’s Indomitable Spirit” ~ Positive Living Magazine, Nov./Dec. 1996
4. “CityScope” ~ with host Eric Schmidt, FOXTV 1996
5. “Life of A Salesman” reprint ~ Reader’s Digest 75th Anniv. Ed., July 1997
6. “A Moving Journey” ~ ABC 20/20 Friday with Bob Brown and Barbara Walters, December 12, 1997 ~ Recapped with update on December 24, 1999.
7. “Unstoppable” ~ book by Cynthia Kersey, one chapter devoted to Bill.
8. “Ten Things I Learned from Bill Porter” ~ book by Shelly Brady, New World Library–release date May 2002, on New York Times Top Ten best seller list for weeks.
9. “Door To Door” ~ TNT movie about Bill’s life starring William H. Macy as Bill–release date July 14, 2002, a Golden Globes winner. The film also won MANY other prestigious awards.
10. “Oprah” – 2 appearances, plus MANY other TV & radio shows.
11. COMING – Shelly Brady and her brother Chris Soentpiet, an award-winning children’s book illustrator, are collaborating on a children’s book about Bill Porter.
Awards & Special Recognitions
His story has touched thousands of people throughout the world and, in recognition of his personal achievements, he has been honored with several awards.
In September 1998, Bill Porter was honored as a recipient of an award from the National Council on Communicative Disorders and received his award at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC from Senator John Glenn!
Other special recognition and awards Bill Porter has received include:
• “America’s Award”, 1997 ~ Honoring Unsung Heroes who personify the American Character and Spirit.
• “Special Chairman’s Award”, 1997 as 1996 Top Salesman for Watkins Incorporated, presented by president and chairman Irwin Jacobs at Watkins Int’l Business Conference.
• 1979 Trophy for “Highest Personal Sales” in the leadership division of retail sales, Watkins Int’l Business Conference.
Motivational Speaking Opportunities
The story of Bill Porter’s Personal Achievements and Success have inspired many individuals, and spurred a great interest in this Wonderful man!
Since 1997, Bill and his long-time friend and associate, Shelly Brady, have been invited to speak to many groups, some of which include NIKE, HIS Cellular, Primerica Financial Services, Community Networks, Oreck, Million Dollar Round Table, Callaway Golf, Unishippers, Quixtar (Amway) groups, and the Watkins Int’l Business Conference.
Together they have shared Bill’s inspirational story, and felt the joy and excitement in seeing how this man touches the lives of all who hear their presentation! In mid-2001, Bill decided it was time to stay closer to home. He no longer travels from city to city, but Shelly Brady (author of “Ten Things I Learned from Bill Porter”) still appears “live”, while Bill sometimes “appears” via satellite or telephone.
10 THINGS I LEARNED FROM BILL PORTER
2. IT DOESN’T MATTER HOW YOU GOT HERE, ONLY WHERE YOU’RE GOING
3. MOTHER KNOWS BEST
4. PERSISTENCE PAYS OFF
5. DON’T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER
6. KNOW YOUR LIMITS AND GO BEYOND THEM
7. BE A TEAM PLAYER
8. IF IT AINT BROKEN, DON’T FIX IT
9. THERE ARE NO OBSTACLES
10. LIVE YOUR VALUES
I suggest, instead of trying to help your people avoid the so-called ‘misfortunes’ happening to them in future, teach them to focus on developing themselves Personally and Professionally.
May I suggest you help them do the following:
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT THEIR IN PERSONAL LIFE
1. DAILY READ GOAL CARD
2. DAILY AFFRIM THIER ‘WHY’
3. DAILY VISUALIZATION
4. DAILY AFFIRMATIONS
5. DAILY SELF STUDY
6. WEEKLY TIME WITH MENTOR
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT IN THEIR PROFESSIONAL LIFE
1. DAILY PLANNING
– PROSPECTING LIST
– KNOW THEIR DAILY NUMBERS
2. DAILY PREPARATION
– WEEKLY ACTIVITY RESULTS SHEET
3. DAILY ACTIVITY
4. DAILY EVALUATION
5. WEEKLY EVALUATION
Keep in Mind: